Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Excuses

There's a term in psychology called rationalizing. The short definition is that rationalizing is making up "good reasons" so that people can do what they want to do.

The thing about humans is, we have reason, but we are also driven by our emotions, our feelings. Sometimes we think up "good reasons" to avoid doing something, even though we know that doing it is necessary and beneficial, simply to feel normal, healthy.

I think the number one rationalization, or excuse for anything, is "I don't have time." Maybe the next excuse in line is, "I didn't want those sour grapes anyway."

We are not all born equal in talent or ability. The only thing that is equal among all people, is the amount of time we have in the day. We all get 24 hours a day.

"I don't have time," becomes more of a belief than an excuse after repeating it over and over again. It becomes a habit to believe in a self-restricting belief that only limits oneself.

A more useful belief to have is exercise is something that could change your outlook and attitude, releases feel-great endorphins, and has benefits that carry over into all other aspects of your life. The muscle you develop and condition now, you will keep into your old age. After 50, the amount of muscle one has declines steeply with increasing age. Is mobility and independence important at 70 or 80? Yes. We all age; we are all getting older.

The best way to build strong bone is to do weight-bearing exercises. This makes the bone more dense. The old idea that cow's milk is good for bone health is myth. Weight bearing exercise + lots of broccoli and cruciferous vegetables (calcium) do the best job, not dairy products.

Training with weights is about keeping what you have--about keeping the muscle and bone you have, throughout life. Your body is your vehicle in life.

If you understand this and believe it, your brain will find a way no matter what; your brain won't need the "good reasons" that only justify easy and comfortable habits. And after doing it for a while, you don't have to believe it because you come to know it.

3 comments:

Serenity said...

Hon, it's DARK outside! It gets dark at 5 p.m. these days! It's also black dark at 7 a.m., by the way. I want to take a walk, but not in the dark. So call it rationalizing if you want. But i have yet to come to the point where i will take a mall walk.I'm sorry, but there it is.
Believe me, I'm not trying to talk myself out of this. In fact I'm talking myself into more and more. But finding time to exercise continues to defeat me.

Serenity said...

just a note to let you know your words keep echoing in my head (there's so little else in there, i guess).
thank you for kicking my ass. I'm trying. I really am.
You've got such an interesting blog here. It's always a good read, always well-written.And i like your humour.
You'll be happy no doubt to know I will never comment on any of your other blogs, though. They are waaay too far outside my realm of experience. i do have my limits.

buy vigora 50 mg online said...

vigora 50 mg is used to treat erectile dysfunction impotence in adult men. it works by relaxing the blood vessels in the penis, thereby allowing the blood to flow into the penis when the person is sexually excited.