Saturday, September 02, 2006

Steroid Cautionary Tale

Just to warn you, don't watch the video link below if you're squeamish or dislike needles. Yuck.

The subject of the video compares animal protein farts as a "small side effect" with "big side effects" from steroids as if there is any comparison. His ability to reason has left him, if he ever had one. Apparently, he has no conception of long-term consequences. From the way he speaks about it, it is obvious that he has always believed (falsely) that steroids are a "normal" or necessary part of bodybuilding. From his point of view, it's a given that people who want to build muscle will take steroids. Some people believe what they want to believe so they can do whatever the hell they want.

He's an exception among those "in the know." There are other juicers who would say that he was stupid and didn't take the drugs "correctly" which is to inject into his buttocks and use sterile technique. They're not much better than he is.

People who "correctly" abuse steroids end up saying things like this:
Confession of a steroid user
That (30 lbs of) muscle came at a price. I've spent close to $30,000 on steroids and now stay on them at least two-thirds of the year. I have masses of scar tissue in my glutes from hundreds of injections. People I meet are intimidated, and some automatically assume I'm a jerk, which I'm not. But that's all trivial compared with this: A few months ago, after a cycle in which I had used a lot of oral steroids to prepare for a contest, a blood test showed liver damage comparable to that of a hepatitis patient...

My liver has almost fully recovered, but now my wife wants me to quit. She says that at some stage I have to give up the idea of getting bigger and focus on my health, and I don't disagree. It's also getting harder to conceal my steroid use from the older of our two children.

Here's my advice to anyone considering steroids: Unless you're at or very near your maximum genetic potential, don't waste your time. Using steroids too soon will keep you from learning how to make gains without them. If you're under 23, you have no business juicing. Besides the fact you have enough natural testosterone, you could stunt your growth if you haven't reached your full adult height. Finally, most guys who set out to do "just one cycle" end up using steroids for years.

If you think you'll be the exception, you've just joined a very big club. Once you've started, it's tough to go back.

It's a personal choice, but one you have to think through as carefully as any other decision you make in life. Be sure you aren't going to let the desire to be huge take precedence.

It takes at least a year of hard lifting to even find out what kind of genetics you have. I learned that from Arnold's book and I agree with him. How many people give bodybuilding a sincere effort for a year or two in order to find out?

video link. yuck

1 comment:

Serenity said...

i'll skip the link and take your word for it but i appreciate what you wrote and wish more people were reading what you are reading and making the connections you are making.
i don't know why i enjoy this blog so much, it couldn't possibly be farther from my own personal reality, lol. i think it's simply the overall quality of insight and information gathering ability. thanks as always.