Sunday, September 03, 2006

Shrugs on a Standing Calf Raise Machine

I work my trapezius on the same day as shoulders (deltoids). I don't like doing barbell shrugs. It feels like I'm effectively taking a heavy bar and rubbing it up and down the front of my crotch.

So I do shrugs on a standing calf raise machine if I'm not using heavy dumbbells. This site calls it the "gripless shrug." It works the trapezius exactly the same way (straight up, straight down). Plus I don't have to deal with loading 2-3 plates on each side of the bar. It's much easier to just change the weight by moving the pin to the appropriate weight. Standing calf raise machines usually have 400 to 500 lbs available with the change of a pin. Loading the same amount onto a barbell is a waste of time and energy, IMO.

Also, I don't have to worry about my grip giving out later; I can save my grip strength for deadlift.

No comments: