Sunday, August 06, 2006

Upper Cross Syndrome

The correct way to do shrugs, which work the trapezius, is to bring the shoulders straight up and straight down.

Gyrating one's shoulders in circles while doing shrugging movements is not correct. Correct is: straight up, straight down.

The ability to bring one's shoulders straight up and straight down is influenced by posture.

Some postural deficiencies are responsible for most plateaus in strength and hypertrophy.

Rounded shoulders, or upper cross syndrome can lead to incorrect form for shrugs, and almost all other upper-body exercises. That article shows how you can tell if you have it. It's common among those who sit at desks for long periods, and people who lift weights. If you love to do chest exercises but neglect your back and rowing-type movements, you may be more likely to have it.

If you find that you have it, the good news is that you can fix it. This article, The Perfect Posture Plan, shows you how. I know it works because I did what they suggest and it fixed my shoulders. It also affected positively, every other upper body exercise I do.

The way to appear confident in your posture is to have correct posture. That is, to stand upright with your shoulders pulled back and down. It is like the posture one has while wearing a cape (think Superman). Upper cross syndrome makes it tough to have correct posture and correct lifting form, especially for bench press, all back movements, all shoulder movements, and triceps movements. It's that important to fix it.

See if you have it then fix it. I did it and I'm so glad I did. :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the post about upper-cross syndrome. Until I read your blog, I didn't know I had this problem. I'm going to take a month off of bench and shoulder pressing to see if I can fix the problem--maybe with the Men's Health program, maybe with other rotator cuff work and rows.

Anonymous said...

Might be a good idea also to have the issue (and your posture! :D) addressed by a certified professional, such as a massage therapist. Upper cross syndrome is very common in the computer world we live in nowadays.